The Department of Physics faculty and staff invite graduates and their guests to attend the department's graduation ceremony and reception at 12:00 noon on Monday, June 18, 2012, in the Paul Olum Atrium in Willamette Hall. No tickets are required.
This ceremony is for both graduate and undergraduate physics majors (we hold a combined department ceremony with the Geological Sciences and General Science Departments). Graduating students will be individually recognized. The ceremony will be approximately one and a half hours long, and a reception with refreshments will follow.
Graduates should plan to arrive between 11 and 11:15 a.m. on graduation day. Please check in at the table outside the main doors of Willamette Hall on 13th Street where you will sign-in and receive handouts with instructions.
We encourage graduates and their guests to also attend the main University of Oregon Graduation Celebration beginning with an academic parade to Hayward Field on Monday, June 18, at 9:00 a.m. Details regarding this celebration are on a website provided by the Office of Student Life: http://studentlife.uoregon.edu.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who may walk in the Department of Physics ceremony?
- Undergraduate Physics majors and graduate students who graduated Fall 2011, Winter 2012, or who applied on Duckweb to graduate Spring 2012, or who will graduate Summer 2012. April 29 — last day to apply for Undergraduate Degree in Duckweb. April 13 — last day to apply for Graduate Degree in Duckweb. Be sure to apply for the term in which you will actually finish your degree (only indicate spring as your graduation term if you will actually finish your program in the spring). The announcer will have a name card for you and will call your name as you walk across the stage.
- Whose name is listed in the department commencement program?
- Students who apply to graduate Spring 2012 on Duckweb (deadline April 29th; April 13 for graduate students); Fall 2011 and Winter 2012 graduates, and students who are graduating Summer 2012 term and notify us that they plan to walk on June 18. If you plan to graduate as a Physics major in the summer and are unsure about your credit status, please use Duckweb to confirm it.
- If I plan to walk in the department ceremony, but graduated Fall 2011, Winter 2012, or will graduate Summer 2012, do I need to notify the department?
- Yes, please notify Jodi Myers by emailing your name, UO ID #, term graduated, or planning to graduate, and your current mailing address to email@example.com .
Regarding your guests:
If graduates or guests need special accommodations, please notify the department at (541) 346-4751. Wheelchair seating will be available in the atrium. Please encourage guests to make their reservations for hotels and accommodations early as local hotels fill quickly. For additional information, see the University commencement website.
Parking will be extremely limited. Visit the main University commencement website for parking recommendations, shuttle information and maps http://studentlife.uoregon.edu
Note: parking is provided for the day at Autzen Stadium with the campus accessible by shuttle.